If you read my post yesterday, I talked about the negatives and the insecurities I’ve been facing, but there are lots of positives and I am trying my best to focus on all the wonderful things in my life, big and little.
A few months back my husband, a giant baseball fan, said to me with joy beaming from his face, “You know I was thinking, I know it’s not important, but I really look forward to watching baseball everyday. I really get enjoyment out of it. And when you enjoy something you should do it whenever you can.”
The statement stopped me, because my life has gotten so busy that I literally don’t take time to enjoy the things that bring me joy. The Bachelor franchise is my guilty pleasure, but I barely enjoy it because I’m always doing work or blogging or painting my nails while it’s on. I’m barely paying 50% attention. This is a problem in our society, Instagram, Snapchat and Pokemon, we can’t focus on the present moment and soak up the joy we get from it. This was one of my new years resolutions that I am failing at.
I’m trying though. Here are 10 ways I have been seeking joy in 2016.
1. Picnics with Kyle and Oliver. Several times a month, Kyle will bring Oliver and meet me at the train station. It’s right on the water, there’s a lovely sunset and a nice little playground. We can have a lovely dinner and it feels like we have gone “out,” with out the cost of ordering drinks and a whole dinner. I usually pick something up on the way out of the office and we have a lovely computer-free dinner.
2. Meditating. I admit, this is still very difficult for me, but taking a few minutes, usually just between 5 and 10, is a lovely way to start the day. As long as I don’t have to rush in such a tizzy that the work I just did goes out the window. I sucked it up and paid for the year of Head Space, which I find easy to follow and currently I am listening to the Oprah and Deepak meditation series about getting unstuck and the messages are amazing!
3. Finding moments of alone time to throw myself into my projects. If you know me, you know I LOVE my projects. But with a baby, it is nearly impossible to enjoy doing them anymore. It’s hard to find a significant chunk of time to get into something, really get into it deep enough to enjoy it. Usually I’m racing against the clock of nap time or my own bed time. One Saturday a month I like to stay up late, real late, and get into the zone, guilt free.
4. Enjoying evenings on our patio with my husband. It's a simple summer pleasure with lots of great conversation.
5. Dance parties with my baby. Lately I’ve been putting on the music and feeling the groove with Oliver. It’s such a little moment that brings me so much joy.
6. House projects. We bought our house back in October, and I have loved working on it little by little making it into our perfect home. This one is tricky, because like I mentioned in #3, finding the time to do house projects is not an easy task, but when I actually finish one it brings me an immense amount of pride.
7. Morning runs. This isn’t new, but getting fresh air, spending time with my dog, clearing my head, all while getting my blood pumping is my favorite way to start the day.
8. Watching and making Oliver laugh.
9. Volunteering. Another of my goals was to start volunteering regularly. I've been spending one Saturday a month at our local food pantry. I want to instill this virtue into my son as soon as possible. Doing this one little deed contributes to my community and makes me so grateful for all that I have.
10. Starting the day with a gratitude journal. I am working to change my habit from looking at Instagram the moment I wake up to thinking of three things I’m thankful for.