As I continue to flush out my capsule wardrobe, one of the pieces I keep getting stuck on is the skirt. My legs are my best feature, and in my 20s I was a miniskirt queen. Now that I'm a 30 something mom, I don't feel appropriate in many of those minis I once donned for nights out. That said, I still think the skirt is a wardrobe essential, especially for those of us who love our lets. Though I'm on a shopping diet, I found this suede skirt at the All-Saints outlet store and couldn't pass it up. I think it is the perfect skirt for a 30-something mamma. Here are my five rules for wearing skirts for the over 30 crowd. And yes, I'm I realize that I'm talking about dressing like a grown-up while sporting pink hair.
1. Mid thigh is too high. I will restate that I love showing off my legs, I mean, I run a lot of miles to keep these babies in shape, but I find there's definitely a length that feels inappropriate as I get older.
2. When showing off your legs, cover up the top. It's better to find a balance
3. A pencil skirt can be dressed up or down and is a 30-something wardrobe essential.
4. The denim skirt you owned in college, probably isn't right for you now, 10 years later.
5. Don't be afraid to layer or pair skirts in unexpected ways. A turtle neck sweater goes great with a jersey skirt and t-shirts pair perfectly with a leather skirt and sneakers.