One of our favorite family activities is having picnics after work. I try to duck out of work 10 minutes early, I grab food and hop on the train. My boys meet at the station, which is located at a beautiful part on the Hudson River. We set up a blanket, and dig in. The sun is setting, it's a lovely scene, and a perfect night out, that doesn't cost much and we don't have to debate over where to go. Because we have made this in to an almost weekly ritual during the summer, we keep a picnic bag ready in the car. All we need is to add food and instant picnic. So you too can be ready, here is what I keep in my picnic bag. And note, yes, I opt for a picnic bag instead of a basket, as it takes up far less room.
1. blanket - you need this, obviously. We opt for a table cloth.
2. bag - picnic baskets are adorable and totally instagramable, but a bag takes up less room and squish down and fit in your car.
3. cooler bag - we usually just pick up food and meet at the park, but in case you need a place for a cool drink or a cold dish, I advise keeping a cooler bag on hand.
5. cutting board and serrated knife - We often pick up bread and cheese, so the set is a necessity.
6. wine opener - because duh.
SHOP THE POST
photo: A. Fatouros Photography