I had such a great time at the Alt Design Summit yesterday at the Martha Stewart Offices. It was wonderful to meet so many like-minded women that I hope to collaborate with in the future.
Here are some of my favorite tidbits from the speakers.
Grace Bonny of Design*Sponge was the opening speaker and discussed the ever-changing internet.
- Negativity: Don't assume that all change is bad. Go into all change with a positive outlook and a hopeful attitude.
- (Internet) trends are important to consider, but not necessarily to follow.
- Steps to kickstarting your big change:
- write down your biggest fear
- write down your biggest goal
- create a list of ideas, collaborators, confidants and partners
- take the first steps and share
- My favorite: take a "Rejection Therapy Challenge."
- Ask anyone for anything you want, until hearing no isn't scary anymore
- Last, find something you love just as much as work to give you balance
- Set a goal. You can't drive a car somewhere unless you know where you're going.
- Create a team of people, and hire people that have the skills you lack
- get out of your own way
- Really love the thing you're creating, because it will test you
- You're a business, even if you think you're not, put the message out that you want to be received
- Three of Garance's rules of business
- arrive on time
- arrive smiling
- do what needs to get done
- Branch out, but stay on the same tree. Do diversify yourself, but in the realm of your brand.
- Stay in touch with what's going on, but don't freak out whenever a new app launches
- Three important things to remember
- haters gonna hate
- No is not a bad word, don't be afraid to say it sometimes
- prove yourself everyday for the rest of your life
- Don't network, cultivate real relationships
- If you mess up, use tragedy and embrace imperfection